Re: [oletrucks] was CA DMV registration, different year engines...

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] was CA DMV registration, different year engines...
From: GremlinGTs@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 10:37:13 EDT
>  Don't worry about what engine you put in your 55, because of  the age of
>  your truck you can put anything you want in it. It is not subject to the
>  various smog laws.  Donald Short

    This in NOT necessarily the case in all states. Some states have been
changing the laws, if you put a modern engine in your antique car or truck,
it MUST meet the emissions of the year of the ENGINE, not the VEHICLE, but
only if you register the truck for daily driving, with antique
registration/plates, it's a moot point, or should be. As with anything, check
with your local Motor Vehicle Dept. before doing anything. Virginia has been
changing it's antique registration criteria almost as much as most people
change underwear lately, so it's a good idea to keep abreast of whats going
on in your own state regarding Emissions, Antique Plates, etc. Virginia used
to not require emissions testing before '72, and excluded pickup trucks and
big trucks, now it goes back to '68, and trucks have to pass the tests. I
changed my '74 Chevy truck over last year to Antique, because I knew the carb
wasn't worth much, and it was probablyl going to fail. i don't drive it too
much, anyway, just for hauling stuff, so it was a good move for me, no more
registration fees, no more state inspections, etc. Luckily it had just met
the 25-year old requirement, heh heh. Once my Pacer hits 25 in 2004, it'll go
antique as well.

Jerry Casper
Woodbridge, VA