Re: [oletrucks] sheet metal brake

To: "Old Trucks List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] sheet metal brake
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 10:02:49 -0700
I tried making one of the small sheet metal brakes for which I previously
provided plans.  I made one critical mistake, which I thought I'd offer to
those contemplating  this project.  The plans were for an 18" brake suitable
to making bends in 20 to 24 ga. steel.  I decided that if 18" was good, 48"
would be better.

The forces exerted by the sheet metal are quite strong, and when I bolted it
all up, the brake flexed instead of the sheet metal.  I later learned that
when you bend long sheets, you need much sturdier equipment.   I guess the
lesson is to follow the plans.

I bought a used Enco http://www.use-enco.com/  finger brake a while ago
(weighs about 500 lb).  I'm happy I got the finger design, as I can make box
shapes as well as straight angles.  I've made several storage cabinets which
have put some much needed order in my shop.  I'm working on a stainless cart
for my welder at the moment.   These projects were very helpful for getting
a feeling for welding sheetmetal with my mig welder, so that when I get
around to patching the truck I won't over heat the panels.

Those considering purchase or construction of a brake ought to consider
whether they will need to make boxes and pans, in which case a finger brake
is the preferred design.

Regards,

Grant S.
54 3100 (mostly all there)