RE: [oletrucks] Wiring harness.

To: "Antonio R. Tijerino" <antonio@innercite.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Wiring harness.
From: jelerath@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 09:14:26 -0600

I went the route of making my own.  I was able to select the right gage
wire, color code it, include an outstanding fuse panel and add extra
features like power seats, HEI ignition and other stuff without taking a
brand new harness and cutting it up.  Connectors are a piece of cake...you
use the existing plastic housings and buy new GM "blades" at NAPA, or PEP
Boys to put in them.  A small screw driver lets you remove the plastic
housings from the spades.  This way, there are no splices in my wires
except where I chose to put them for convenience or maintenance (and to
non-GM devices like my tachometer).

The HEI means you eliminate the wires associated with the ballast resistor
and the start-bypass circuit, and change the guage of wire.

Cost?....probably about the same as Chevy Duty for comparable hardware
(wires with connectors).  Adding the fuse panel added another $100 or so.
The cost is higher than one might expect because I did EXTENSIVE color
coding so I can trouble shoot easily.

Jon Elerath
'53 3100 w/ 327, HEI, pwr seats, tach, s&w ammeter, turn signals and
fuses...lots and lots of fuses!
jelerath@us.ibm.com

"Antonio R. Tijerino" <antonio@innercite.com>@autox.team.net on 05/11/2000
10:40:14 PM