Re: [oletrucks] 40 GMC metal bed floor.

To: "William M. Schickling" <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 40 GMC metal bed floor.
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 13:24:28 -0400
Bill,

Jim Carter's "Bed Restoration Manual" mentions that some early GMC's used
metal beds, but does not give specific years. I would crawl under the neath
and see if there are any superfluous holes in the cross sills which would
indicate that wooden bed strips may have been attached there...but, even if
they are there, the metal bed may have been an extra cost option, or
dealer-installed.

Unless somebody on the list just happens to have a virgin '40 GMC, you may
never be able to get a firm answer on this. GMC info, especially on pre-war
models, can be hard to find. Some attribute this to a fire in the mid-50's
which destroyed all GMC prints and records.

In any event, I would not consider bed authenticity a buy/no buy criteria
for an otherwise correct '40 GMC. The bed is probably one of the easiest
areas to change.

Jack / Winter Park FL