RE: [oletrucks] Ki ngpins on a half ton AD

To: "'Deve Krehbiel'" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>, bob_keeland@usgs.gov,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Ki ngpins on a half ton AD
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 11:24:38 -0500
Have fun Bob.  I just replaced mine and the driver's side was a
real &^$%# to get out.  Now that I'm done, I'm real happy with
the results.

I used:
        a half can of Liquid Wrench over night - didn't help
        heat from a propane torch - didn't help
        2 pound hammer swung with 1 hand while the other
                hand held a brass drift - didn't help
        8 pound hammer swung with 1 hand while the other
                hand held a brass drift - moved the pin
                about 1/8"

Tricks that did help:

        You MUST support the axle directly under the kingpin.
        Anything else allows the axle to flex when you hit
        the top of the kingpin

        I needed to swing the hammer with both hands.  I used
        a 1/2" female to 3/8" male socket adapter as my "drift".
        I packed some modeling clay around it to keep it from
        bouncing out of the hole when I hit it.  By the time I
        was done with it the 3/8" end was totally ruined, but the
        kingpin was out.