Re: [oletrucks] 52 GMC rear end

To: <FanJazz@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 52 GMC rear end
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:28:25 -0700
I'm not too familiar with the GMC's although we build "Rodded a 48 GMC" two
years ago.  It was a basket case when we picked it up (no motor, trans or
rearend) so I'm not sure if you had an open driveline to begin with.

If you already have an open driveline then here's a list of donor rearends
that fit the width my 1950 1/2 ton Chevy truck:

 (this are 5 lug rearends and require you to weld in new spring perches)

a) 68-72 Chevelle
b) 68 GTO
c) 69 Chevrolet
d) 69 Firebird
e) 71-73 Nova
f) 59-57 Chevy

If your looking to retain the 6 lug bolt pattern then look more towards the
1/2 ton trucks of the mid 60's to 1970.

I installed the 69 Chevelle posi in my truck and it's cruises 65 + without a
problem.  It came with 3:08 gears.

About the disc brakes.  It doesn't matter what speed you plan to drive at,
an upgrade to disc brakes would be a wise decision.  Several vendors sell
complete kits to convert over to disc brakes for the straight axle.

Joe Garcia
1950 Chevrolet 3100
1950 Willys Jeepster
1970 Chevy