Re: [oletrucks] rear axle won't come out

To: jspoon@us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rear axle won't come out
From: "ROGER GLEASON" <rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 14:34:57 -500
While you have both axles out and if you're replacing the gears take
a look thru one of the empty axle tubes with a light somewhere near
the other end of the rear end. Look for a bent housing this way... I
had the same problem and could not figure out why I could not get the
center pin in the gear housing... Found out the rear end was bent
more than an inch... I could hardly see thru to the other end...The
next housing I tried also was bent so I could only see a half moon
thru to the other side... Should have known as the weld spots that
hold the axle tubes to the center housing had cracked and started
leaking fluid... Not a lot but enough to make the area around the
weld wet... There are 3 spot welds that hold the tubes in the center
housing... How they get cast Iron to hold mild steel is beyond me but
it works, for a while... I would not try to straighten one but I've
heard that other people have and in racing they bend them all the
time trying to get camber into them but thats another story...
Rogerg
51-3100 AD Huckster