[oletrucks] 59 rearend

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 59 rearend
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 19:05:18 -0700
I second what Mike said...the 70s Camaro/firebird 8.5" 10 bolt is close
in width, and strong enough (they've been using 8.5" 10 bolts on most
Chevy 1/2 ton trucks since the early-mid 1980s).  Check the axles before
you buy!  they are often worn out...you need to pull them and inspect
the bearing race area, if it's just lightly pitted you can use an axle
saver bearing, if it's worn down, you need a good axle for it.  The 2.73
and 3.08 ratios are very common.

The 7.5" rearend may hold up...I had one in my 39 Chevy car, behind a
mild 350, it did ok.  But, it is kind of wimpy...this design was
originally used in the Monza behind a 4 cylinder.

I don't need rear disks...in fact, I get by fine with 4 wheel drums!
But, my wife's 99 Silverado sure stops nice with 4 wheel antilock disk
brakes.

Jim F
59s in AZ