[oletrucks] Project Update

To: "OleTrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Project Update
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 12:14:52 -0500
No new pics on the website yet, but have been keeping pretty busy on the
project. My focus has been metal work and this has proven to have a pretty
long learning curve. You dont just buy a welder and weld. There are a few
things you need to learn. (duhh!!). Altho I purchased the right equipment, I
had no welding experience so a few mistakes had to be made.

I spent the last month or so welding new lower inside door panels into both
doors. I chose the passenger door to start. I knew where a set of perfect
replacement doors were for cheap just in case, and then set about the task.
Just using good doors would be a real chicken &^#@ thing to do since this is
a learning experience so I was determined to succeed. The first door was a
disaster. Warped the crap out of it. The whole inside of the door bowed
inward so bad that there was nothing anyone could do. I still didnt toss the
door. Instead I removed the patch panel and bent everything back into shape
(looked great again) and proceeded to try again with the same panel. This
time adding some structural iron to support the weld. Thru advice from you
all, and a few local experts, I learned a few tricks and the door came out
perfect. WOW! No bondo needed whatsoever. A perfect welding job after the
grinding operation and the minor flaws will be covered with a few coats of
the primer/filler. I hang the doors after doing this on the cab to make sure
I have a good fit.

After doing both doors and hanging them, I feel great about the patch
panels, but a little concerned over the fit. The fit has nothing to do with
the welding. I have a 49 too and the doors are hung sloppy. Seems that they
hang fine if you arent a perfectionist, but if you are looking for a uniform
3/16 inch gap all the way around, forget it! In some places you get a nice
even gap. In others, its wider than it should be. Adjusting the door doesnt
help. Anyone have any expereince with this? I know the drivers side outer
cowl panels have been replaced and there might be additional gap there. How
does one remedy this problem? Any advice would be much appreciated. Plan is
to do this right no matter what the cost in time. A month just to weld in
two patch panels may seem excessive, but I wanted it right and I wanted to
do it myself. Those two things are hard to reconcile sometimes!

Thanks again!

Deve Krehbiel
Hesston, Kansas
1950 3100 * 1949 3600