RE: [oletrucks] Ki ngpins on a half ton AD

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Ki ngpins on a half ton AD
From: bob_keeland@usgs.gov
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 15:10:09 -0500
Thanks for the information from Deve and Bill.  Now for my next question,
how do I check to see if I need oversized replacement kingpins?  Also,
can't I just take the axle to a machine shop and have the kingpins pressed
out (and then the new ones in) if they give me trouble?  Surely that would
not be too spendy.

BobK
51 3600 5-window
Arnaudville, LA

>From Bill,

Have fun Bob.  I just replaced mine and the driver's side was a
real &^$%# to get out.  Now that I'm done, I'm real happy with
the results.

I used:
           a half can of Liquid Wrench over night - didn't help
           heat from a propane torch - didn't help
           2 pound hammer swung with 1 hand while the other
                     hand held a brass drift - didn't help
           8 pound hammer swung with 1 hand while the other
                     hand held a brass drift - moved the pin
                     about 1/8"

Tricks that did help:

           You MUST support the axle directly under the kingpin.
           Anything else allows the axle to flex when you hit
           the top of the kingpin

           I needed to swing the hammer with both hands.  I used
           a 1/2" female to 3/8" male socket adapter as my "drift".
           I packed some modeling clay around it to keep it from
           bouncing out of the hole when I hit it.  By the time I
           was done with it the 3/8" end was totally ruined, but the
           kingpin was out.