RE: [oletrucks] Ki ngpins on a half ton AD

To: "'bob_keeland@usgs.gov'" <bob_keeland@usgs.gov>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Ki ngpins on a half ton AD
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 15:58:55 -0500
Any decent shop should be able to do the work.

The specs (see Maintenance Manual - I have one
at home if you don't) call out the size for the
king pin's hole in the end of the axle.  If worn
beyond the service maximum you would need to
have the hole enlarged to the "over" size and
use the oversize kingpin.  You would need inside
micrometers to measure the hole size.

As long as the old kingpin was not moving around
in the axle you shouldn't have to go oversize.
After I finally knocked my old one out I used 160
grit Emery cloth chucked into a drill and a little
solvent to act as a cleaner and lubricant to clean
up the hole through the axle.  When I finished I
put some light oil on the new kingpin.  It took
the kingpin 3 or 4 seconds to fall through the hole
powered by only it's own weight.  Close enough
for me to a good fit.