[oletrucks] AD Kingpins

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] AD Kingpins
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 09:02:34 -0700
I've only changed kingpins on one AD truck, a 54, and it needed oversize
kingpins.  The pins were a loose fit in the axle, they would wobble back
and forth.  I got an .010" oversize pin kit, and borrowed an adjustable
reamer from my friend who owns a machine shop...and reamed the holes
with the axle still on the truck.

The bushings float in the spindle, so they don't need to be pressed in
(after you deburr the holes).  On the 54, the spindles were worn where
the bushings fit, so I needed to put in good used spindles too.

After all that, the owner had an independent front suspension
installed...I got the axle from it, though, of if anyone needs an
oversize kingpin kit for a late AD, I have one.

I've put a couple sets of kingpins in my 59s over the years.  They can
be a real bear to get out sometimes...heavy use of the hammer seems to
work ok.  I would guess that you could remove the axle and spindles as
one piece and take it to a press, and save some hard labor!  Of course,
you run the risk of breaking the front axle u-bolts when you try to
remove the nuts   :)

Jim F
59s in AZ.