[oletrucks] 8 volts

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 8 volts
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2000 09:07:36 -0700
Grant--

Funny you should mention a 55 tbird...the only 12 volt conversion I've
done in recent memory was on a 55 bird!  I added a GM alternator (made a
bracket for it), got a later model starter, i think the one that's used
in a 56...they had it in stock at the parts store.  I added a voltage
regulator to the gages, I think it's the one they used in later model
Fords, and changed all the light bulbs...as well as the heater blower
motor.  The owner wanted his car to start reliably all the time, and
after the car being in the family since the late 50s, he was familiar
with the problem of trying to start a v-8 on 6 volts.

The only experience I had with 8 volt batteries was also on a 55 Tbird,
20 years ago...the guy who ran the junkyard I worked at had a 55 bird,
and wanted to take the easy way out...I don't think we even messed with
the voltage regulator.  He didn't keep the car very long, though.

Jim F
59s in AZ