Re: [oletrucks] vacuum advance

To: bkn6@airmail.net, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] vacuum advance
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 21:43:43 EDT
In a message dated 6/8/00 4:02:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time, bkn6@airmail.net
writes:

> Can anyone recommend a source (other than Chevy Duty) for a vacuum
>  advance for a 216? I have gone through 3 different ones (all new) in the
>  last 7 weeks. All 3 have come from Chevy Duty, and all have been made in
>  Taiwan. None of the local auto parts stores around here (Dallas) carry
>  them, and frustration is starting to set in.
>  Will one from a 235/230/261/292 etc fit? Maybe I would have better luck
>  if I broadened my search parameters. Any suggestions?
>  Thanks
>  Brad

  Brad,

  If you're looking for functionality, not originality.....I used a vacuum
advance pot setup from a '78 6cyl Nova (others would work too), only cost
about 15 bucks an about an hour of time.

  I flattened the bracket the original VA mounted to, bolted on the new one,
ran vacuum hose from the metal line to the new unit.

  I did have to thread the "L" shaped piece on the new one and double nut it
to keep it in it's slot, but it sure beat $70.00 for an original...

  Mike