[oletrucks] Getting an sort-of-old engine started

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Getting an sort-of-old engine started
From: bob_keeland@usgs.gov
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:39:34 -0500
I have a mid-1960s 283 that was rebuilt about 10 years ago.  Since the
rebuild it was left to sit, in the truck, outside.  Although the carborator
was not installed, the manifold was taped over.  What would be the
recommended procedure to start getting this engine into service?  Someone
mentioned something like marvel mystery oil for lubing the pistons before
turning it over.  Is that recommended?  Should I remove the intake or
cylinder heads to see if there is any rust in the motor?  Any helpful
suggestions would be appreciated.  Off color suggestions will be ignored
unless I can think of a good comeback.

Thanks (I also think that this is a great list and great bunch of people)

BobK
'51 3600 5-window project
Arnaudville, LA