Re: [oletrucks] Getting an sort-of-old engine started

To: "Ole Trucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Getting an sort-of-old engine started
From: "WR Teto" <monadnoc@crystal-mtn.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:14:32 -0400
Bob, can you currently turn the motor over by hand at the balancer?  You'd be
surprised how much an
engine can lock up if it's got rust in the cylinders.  I had an MG that had
been sitting for about 5
years.  Couldn't turn the engine over by hand so I coasted down a hill and
popped the clutch at
about 20 mph.  The skid marks had to be seen to be believed...lucky I didn't
snap a connecting rod.
The motor was still locked up after that, and good stuff that it is, a weeks
worth of Marvel Mystery
Oil didn't help.  Finally freed the rusted pistons with a hardwood block and 20
pound sledge.  I had
a nifty boat anchor when I was finished.

Wally / Templeton, MA
53 3100 rod project
72 Chevy Malibu