[oletrucks] Shop suggestions

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Shop suggestions
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:13:13 -0700
Mike--

Hi, sounds like a fun situation to be in!  Except for how much it will
cost....

I'm quite happy with my shop, it cost me about $20k to build in 1993.
30x44 x 10 high, wood, 2x6 walls, 5/12 pitched truss roof, 5/8" drywall
inside, insulated well, 12'x9' door on the "working" south end, 8'x7'
and 18'x7' doors on the "parking" end.  Small metal fab area walled off
(for grinder, welder, etc), small office are partitioned, running water,
swamp cooler.  I live in AZ, and the shop stays warm enough in winter to
work in without any heating.

The air compressor is outside the shop, under a roof.  If I had it to do
over again, I'd put it BEHIND the shop, instead of in front...so it
would be quieter in the house when the comp. runs at night when I forget
to shut it off.

I have had a compressor inside the shop before, and I'll never do it
again!

I don't know how good the buildings in Hemmings are.  If you can build a
smaller shop now that's comfortable, and then later build a big parking
garage, you might be better off than if you build an uncomfy shop that's
huge.  Just an idea...others may have a different attitude.

I figure you need at least a 30x30 just to work on one truck, if you
plan on doing major disassembly....and want enough room to work
comfortably.

Good luck with it!
Jim F
59s in AZ