Re: [oletrucks] 454 is running hot

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 454 is running hot
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:30:00 -0500 (CDT)
The standard TF radiator should keep up with a 454 with the following
provisions:

1.  Is the fan turning the right way?  Don't laugh, it varies from year to
year, especially now with the serpentine belts.  Electric fans come as
pushers and pullers too.  Unless it is on a D8 Cat, the fan should be
pushing or pulling air towards the engine.

2.  Is the water pump turning the right way?  Same as above.  Centrifugal
pumps become very inefficient when spinning backwards.  The scroll should
trail when it spins, and the pump pumps water into the engine.  This also
varies from year to year.

3.  Is the lower hose kinked, collapsed, or obstructed?

4.  Are you sure you have the right thermostat?  Installed the right way?
It should have a second disk on the engine side that closes when the main
thermostat opens.  This controls the bypass around the radiator and makes
it heat up faster.  If it is stuck open or not there, the engine doesn't
cool.  If you don't want to tear it apart, clamp the L shaped hose between
the thermostat and water pump shut and try it.  Things should get better if
this is the problem.

5.  Is the radiator full of crud on the inside or outside?

6.  TF radiators are only good for 7 psi.  Don't put a 15 psi cap on it.

7.  Is the head gasket leaking?

8.  Is the timing, vacuum advance, and so on working correctly on the
engine?  If it isn't running right, it will overheat.

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN