[oletrucks] Fuel delivery problem

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Fuel delivery problem
From: "Mark Kulis" <mk21496@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 20:44:06 -0400
Having searched the archives and not finding the answer to my carb problem,
thought I  would ask you all for some help.

Not being able to get the truck started, and figuring it was fuel related,
 given the poor condition of the carb (leaking, old wasp nest on it, etc. ),
thought I would rebuild the carb (a Rochester B). I did so, and also
replaced the fuel filter.  Got as much of the old gas out of the tank as I
could, and put new gas in.

With the rebuilt carb on it,  she runs only as long as the gas in the bowl
(or the gas poured down the throat) lasts.  Basically, the same thing it was
doing before the rebuild. To verify this,
I have taken the top half of the carb  off, filled the bowl with gas, and
ran the truck until the engine died. Popped the top off the carb, only to
see the fuel level
down at the bottom of the bowl.   Did this twice.  To troubleshoot, I
checked the line coming into the carb, checked the float levels, checked
that gas was being pumped
up when the engine is cranked. All these check out OK.  Can find no apparent
reason why the bowl is not being refilled.

Thought I remember someone mentioning a vacuum being potentially created as
a result of disconnecting the fuel line, but given that I'm seeing gas being
pumped out of the fuel line at the carb, is this a valid concern in this
instance? I can't find the specific post in the archives.  Any suggestions
would be most apprecaited.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark Kulis
'56 4400