Re: [oletrucks] Engine Stalling Problem

To: Mikerross@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Engine Stalling Problem
From: WILHELM GORDON <gvwilhelm@home.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 00:05:24 -0600

Mikerross@aol.com wrote:

> Guys I installed a Chevy 305 in my 56 truck.  I installed a rebuilt
> carbuerator.   I only have about 10 miles on the rebuilt engine/truck.
> Initially it ran fine but now it runs for about 3-5 minutes sputters then
>dies.  It cranks fine but won't start.  Seems to be getting spark but no fuel.
> Installed a brand new fuel filter with the engine rebuild.  After sitting for
>15-20 minutes it will start again but will die again in 3-5 minutes.
The engine is turned.  Full tank of fresh gasoline.

> I'm stumped and really frustrated.  Any ideas?

Hi Mike,  The problem you described is very similar to what I
experienced with my '51 GMC pickup.  Have you taken a look at what might
be in fuel line running from the fuel tank to the fuel pump?  When I
unscrewed the brass fitting and valve that drops down from the fuel tank
I was able to fill the bottom of a baby food jar with a red scaly type
of crud that was inside the tubing and valve!  It seems like it would
settle in a way that would allow me to start and run nicely and then
(especially under some type of a load) it would suddenly sputter and
stop.   I decided to clean out the gas tank and coat it while it was out
of the truck.  No more problems with fuel delivery!  Worth a look.  Good
luck.

Gordon Wilhelm