[oletrucks] 55nd deluxe heater.....passing on a few tips

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 55nd deluxe heater.....passing on a few tips
From: SBOHNAK@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 00:33:07 EDT
I just went through one heck of a time fixing my deluxe heater on my 55nd
GMC.  I took everything apart and found that the motor was shot.  Ordered one
through Heavy Chevy and got it quickly through the mail.  I asked when I
ordered it if it was the deluxe version and was assured that it was.

Now, trying to make the truck look original as possible inside of the cab,
also ordered some time ago, a replacement heater control head for the Chevy
deluxe heater.  Low and behold, the controls were perfect for the Chevy dash,
but mine is a GMC, so the dash is curved somewhat in the lower portion.   No
way would it fit.

I was able to remove the fan switch which died several years ago on this
jewel of mine, replaced by a toggle switch  on the bottom of the lower lip of
the dash.  That just wouldn't do.  I removed the fan switch from the new unit
and found that with a little modification and grinding down of the original
control unit, the new one fit, and it looked stock.

Now the hard part.  How in the heck does the one speed motor I got from the
supplier turn into a "low" "medium" and "high" unit like the original?

After much talking to the tech man at Heavy Chevy, (which did no good, but
Randy was very nice and tried his best!)  I talked to a real mechanic.  He
suggested that I take the fan resister from a Chevy pickup and place it in
line with my current setup.  It works!!!!!!!  The resister is placed in the
blower box to keep air running across it when the fan is on as the coils can
get hot and burn out much too early in life.  The resister is easily ordered
new from the chevy dealer and very much saved a lot more headaches than I
already had.

In looking at my old switch, the resister is in the switch.  I wonder why the
new switches aren't built the same as the old,  but at least it works.

Hope this saves someone some time down the road.  Any questions, please ping
me off a message.

For all you guys and gals out there, keep up the good work.  Your information
is invaluable to us want to be mechanics.  It is such a pleasure to come home
and read the list.  See Ya!!!

Steve B.  55 2nd  GMC
Stockton, CA