Re: [oletrucks] Adventures along the Mother Road

To: "Alan D. Gingles" <agingles@nucleus.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Adventures along the Mother Road
From: New Mexico Jim <ADvent@thuntek.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 23:12:08 -0600
Nothing like a .270 or a .22-250 or .22 hornet on a prairie dog, either. They
are
the main spreaders of "the plague". I must be spoiled. I have lived for years
very
close to hwy. 66. I drive on it all the time. Its just another piece of
blacktop to
me, but I would like to see the east end of it, though. The farthest east on 66
have been is about 40 miles east of me. I have seen hail 6 inches deep in July
in
Flagstaff around Hwy. 66 and only 44º for the high that day and a few winters
well
over 3 feet on the ground from one storm, plus all the other snow already on the
ground! You can drive the stretch that is the hottest summer and coldest in the
winter within a few hours out of the entire stretch of hwy. Around Kingman that
can
get around 120º, but its a dry heat, hehe. And Flagstaff where the coldest is in
the -30's. And in July 4th 1986 fireworks where there was snow flurries and a
bad
accident where my old roommates boss's daughter was badly burned. A few short
miles
on a dirt road in Flagstaff takes you to 10,000 feet on Mt. Elden and it snows
around 30 feet of snow, easy with temps, like Mt. humphrey's (12,633 feet) at a
record of -80! Brrrrrr. You can make it to the top about 5 moths out of the
year. I
guess it is kinda special, ain't it.