[oletrucks] 46 GMC project

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 46 GMC project
From: HMills16@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:41:37 EDT
Guys:
I am a retired Kansas City Police sergeant and am in the first stages of my
first serious restoration.  I have a 46 GMC, EC 102 (long bed) sn 5291,
firewall number 1574150144. It is titled as a 47 and was assembled in early
47, but it is a 46 design. It is complete except for trans. and rear end.  I
have a 49 chevy hypoid rear end for a 1/2 ton and a GMC CC303 1&1/2 ton
transmission (which shows as an optional transmission for the 1/2 ton in my
material.
Can I make this combo work?  Is the tranny low gear geared too low for
pleasure driving?  How do I extend the torque tube for the difference in the
long and short bed measurement (about 8 inches or so)?
The vehicle is basically disassembled now and I plan to go through the frame,
suspension and then drive train, followed by the engine, body and paint.  The
truck is very straight and will make a real nice truck.  Any help from you
guys that have done this before is greatly appreciated.

Hugh Mills
Kansas City