Re: [oletrucks] 46 GMC project

To: HMills16@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 46 GMC project
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:31:23 -0400
Hugh,
  Not sure on the '46 models but the 47 2nd and later half ton GMC long beds
used
a short piece of enclosed drive shaft to make up the extra 8 inches. There were
two bells, two u-joints. The short inside shaft sometimes breaks so they are
sold
by Carter's as well as the 4 speed u-joint. Just the shaft and 4 speed U joint
go
for almost $300 new. You would still need to find the outside part of the short
shaft. These parts can be somewhat hard to find used. If you don't care about
originality I would think about an open drive shaft rear end.
   The truck 4 speed is still 1 to 1 in high gear, same as the three speed if
you
are concerned about top end. Your extra gear is a granny gear for pulling stumps
and such. Very stout "real truck" trans but not a best choice  for any kind of
road racing.

Grant