[oletrucks] The things you find while cleaning...

Subject: [oletrucks] The things you find while cleaning...
From: WILHELM GORDON <gvwilhelm@home.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:43:39 -0600
I decided to take out the headliner in my '51 GMC and do a bit of
cleaning the other night and was surprised to find quite a complete (but
apparently unoccupied) mouse nest in the front section (above the
dash).  We have some serious concerns in this neck of the woods with
deer mice.  Their droppings can spread a nasty disease called Hanta
(sp?) virus when you stir up the dust and dropping while cleaning.  To
my knowledge several people a year die from exposure to this virus!

It appears that the mice were gaining access to the area above the
headliner by climbing up the front window post?  The truck is in fairly
good original running condition so I have been driving it quite a bit.
Makes you wonder what other critters may have made my truck their home!

On a creepy note I also found a shipping invoice from a casket company
(dated in the early 60's).  It looks like the PO picked up the casket
directly from the coffin company and somehow the invoice got dropped in
behind the gas tank (behind the seat)

There must be some great stories out there of what you guys (and gals)
have rediscovered while cleaning/restoring/rodding your trucks??

Gordon Wilhelm
1951 GMC 1/2 ton