[oletrucks] 1 ton driveline question

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 1 ton driveline question
From: "Steve Bobst" <mailman@netins.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 21:26:40 -0500
   I am mounting an old bus body on a newer (1985)1 ton step van chassis
with dual rear wheels.  To make the front fit right, I needed to slide the
motor and transmission mounts back about 11".
    My question is about shortening the driveshaft.  I have been told that I
should retain the carrier bearing due to the stress the dual wheels create.
Would it be best to shorten the front half of the driveshaft, leaving the
carrier mount in its original position. (Shims will probably need to be used
to adjust the driveshaft angle)  OR do I need to move the carrier mount and
shorten the rear half of the drive shaft,  OR a combination of the two.
   The carrier bearing is mounted on the rear of the FRONT section of the
drive shaft.

Thanks in advance
SJB