Re: [oletrucks] horn wiring?

To: 237459N@knotes.kodak.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] horn wiring?
From: "Alan D. Gingles" <agingles@nucleus.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 06:43:04 -0600
237459N@knotes.kodak.com wrote:

> From: W P. Fricke
>
> O.K., I admit to ignorance on the electrical side of things. Give me a
> wrench and I'm fine.
>
> I want to install a horn. It has 2 wires. My truck is 12 volt. It has one
> wire poking out of the steering column. I know where the horn relay is. I'm
> not sure which of the 3 leads is the horn. One clue maybe the little "H"
> scribed on the top (first) lead. Do I simply connect one of the horn wires
> to the column wire and the second to the relay and let the mounting of the
> horn to the frame or firewall act as ground? To which wire must I attach a
> voltage reducer, horn to relay or horn to steering wheel?
>
> Humbly,
>
> Patrick
> '53 thriftmaster, 5-window 235 4-speed

Patrick,

I can't recall which way I wired my relay, but I did not use a voltage reducer.
As long as you don't plan to use the horn every 10 seconds, running 12V through
it shouldn't hurt it. I run my original 6V horns on 12V, and you wouldn't
believe how loud and effective it is!

--
Alan & Karen Gingles
Calgary, Alberta