Re: [oletrucks] Heat Questions-1955 GMC

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Heat Questions-1955 GMC
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:15:41 -0400
Kevin,

    It's normal for temperature to jump up when you slow down. Less air is
coming through the radiator. But it indicates that you can make some
improvements.

    First (and easiest) thing I would try is replacing the fan with a
6-blade flex-a-lite aftermarket fan. This will do two things: increase
airflow to better cool the engine, and avoid the potential grief of losing a
fan blade due to metal fatigue in the original fan blades. Use one of the
rigid fans, not the razor-sharp stainless blade models. Try to get the
deepest pitch you can find, even if it means using a fan with less diameter
than the original model. But deeper pitch means more chance for interference
with pulleys, so you may have to try a few different models.

    My manuals don't show any provision for a transmission cooler on the
Hydramatic, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't or hasn't been done.

    Radiator technology has improved a lot since 1955 but if your original
radiator is in good shape, it should be adequate.

    I just checked CNN, they say temp in Boise was 102 yesterday! You
probably won't have the same problem in a couple of months.

Jack Halton
51 GMC 1/2 ton
Winter Park FL