Re: [oletrucks] sort of off subject: Motorama/Parade of Progress

To: <MarkNoakes@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, <napco4x4@onelist.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] sort of off subject: Motorama/Parade of Progress
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 09:42:01 -0400
Mark & all Ole-Truckers,

    It was me who posted the link to the Futurliner site. I contacted the
project leader to offer some parts left over from my last GMC rebuild (the
vehicle is powered by a 302 GMC engine) as a donation from Inliners
International. He replied promptly in appreciation, and promised to put me
in touch with the shop who is rebuilding the engine.

    Many ole-truckers are also Inliners members. We will post any specific
parts needed on our web site (www.inliners.org) and also here on the
ole-trucks list. At this point, what the project needs most is
(surprise!)cash and donations of restoration materials like welding
supplies, as well as skilled labor.

    Why bother? well, about 12 years ago I visited the
Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg Museum in Auburn, Indiana. At that time, the vehicle
assembly plant buildings were seemingly abandoned, falling down and in peril
of being demolished. I thought how sad it would be to lose this part of
American automotive history. Since then, the NATMUS (National Automotive and
Truck Museum of the US, www.natmus.org)  has undertaken resoration of the
buildings as their museum site. Their museum is geared towards folks like
many of us, who grew up with the cars, trucks, hot rods and customs of the
'50's and '60s.  It will be a source of pleasure, memories and nostalgia for
years to come. They are committed to the preservation of these vehicles, as
are many of us.

    These are the same people who are restoring the Futurliner. So it's a
worthy cause, and I urge anyone who wants to help, to contact them at
www.futurliner.com and get involved.

Jack Halton
51 GMC 1/2 ton
Winter Park FL