Re: [oletrucks] Not frozen!

To: "old-chevy-trucks" <old-chevy-truck@egroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Not frozen!
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 21:45:35 -0700
Hi Leah,

It's amazing how sturdy these old engines are.  Mine had been in a wreck and
sat for 8 years before I bought it as a parts truck.  Just on a lark I put a
battery on it to see if it would turn, and whaddya know?  So I began
thinking I should restore it and get another parts truck, and now I live in
a junk yard.  There's a lesson there for you.

But at the risk of encouraging you to follow my bad example,  you should
seriously consider whether your truck would make a better parts truck to
restore your neighbor's.  Almost any problem can be repaired, but if you
have too many major problems, it is better to salvage what is good for
another truck and junk the rest.

You don't have to decide that right now, just keep it in mind as you get a
better feel for what is solid and what isn't.  It would be worth a trip to
look at the neighbor's truck just to have an idea.  Since you've already got
his fenders, compare the cabs, especially in the bottom corners and under
the door hinges, and the door bottoms for rust.  Also, see if he's got a 5
window.  It is much easier than you'd think to remove a cab.

Regards,

Grant S.
54 3100 (mostly all there)
54 3100 (mostly not there)