Re: [oletrucks] AD Windshield

To: Eric Johnson <j.eric1@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] AD Windshield
From: "Alan D. Gingles" <agingles@nucleus.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2000 08:30:38 -0600
Eric Johnson wrote:

> Hi all, saw an ad panel yesterday that did not have the center metal piece
> that joins the two windows together. The glass did but up to each other. It
> looked kinda cool from a distance. I was just wondering if anybody else has
> this and whether or not it is a good thang to do. This is a local truck so I
> will see it again and check it out closely next time. I don't know how you
> would seal it unless it was a one piece windshield. I wonder If anybody
> makes a one piece.
>
> Eric Johnson
> Vista,Ca (San Diego)
> 48'Carryall w/56'GMC 270
> 49'Carryall w/Rust

Eric,

This is a very common hot rodder modification. The glass has to be cut and
beveled to the exact size and angle to work properly. The seam down the center
is then sealed with a silicone type glue. A number of the local rodders have
their windshields done this way and I've never heard of one leaking yet. When I
finally get around to chopping the top on my '48 I plan to do the same thing. I
also plan to have the glass cut a little bit larger and glue it into the cab,
rather than using the rubber gasket, just like the new cars use.

--
Alan & Karen Gingles
Calgary, Alberta

Street Rods and other Hobbies