[oletrucks] Timing with a vacume gage

To: "OleTruck list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Timing with a vacume gage
From: "Eric Johnson" <j.eric1@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 08:48:29 -0700
Hi all, I remember reading about timing with a vacume gage and it said to
get the highest reading that you could and then back it off 2" and then lock
down the dist. I was wondering if this is better than trying to get it to
ping and then back off till no ping. The reason I ask is that I can't tell
if my motor is pinging. My exhaust(dual)exits in front of the left rear tire
and thats all I can ever hear. I have put a huge amount of advance to it and
I never heard any pinging. I have thought of taking the hood off and
standing on the apron while someone else drives and I could advance the dist
untill it pinged, because I would be able to hear the engine and not the
exhaust. What do ya think. I would prefer not to take the ride on the apron
but if thats the only way that I will ever hear the ping then thats what
I'll do someday! Thanks

Eric Johnson
Vista,Ca (San Diego)
48'Carryall w/56'GMC 270