Re: [oletrucks] Timing with a vacume gage

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Timing with a vacume gage
From: New Mexico Jim <ADvent@thuntek.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 22:45:40 -0600
Why not time it by the steel in the flywheel with the octane selector set on
zero? If you have access to an oscilloscope, it will show the ping pattern on
the screen. Try driving as slow as you can in high gear without lugging it (20
mph?) and floor it. You should be able to hear it ping. Back off until it stops
pinging. There may still be an unaudiable ping, but these old 6 poppers can take
it. My owners manual says a slight audible ping is ok, but don't make it sound
like a diesel, hehe