[oletrucks] '54 GMC running--but cold-blooded!

To: "oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net" <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] '54 GMC running--but cold-blooded!
From: Julie or Colin <juliecolin@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 14:55:14 -0700
Hello All,
I finally got the truck going again after more than month in the shop.
Spent a heck of a lot of time chiseling carbon, draw filing,
beadblasting, flycutting, boring, helicoiling, etc.--just to repair a
blown exhaust gasket!  Suffice to say it turned into a little more than
that...Anyway, I just wanted to thank the group for the help and answers
to my questions.  Also wanted to ask another.  This truck is the most
cold-blooded vehicle I have ever owned.  On startup on cold mornings,
it's a ten-minute process to get it running smoothly (until it gets to
operating temp.)  The carburetor is icing up apparently pretty badly
until that time.  The manifold heat valve is working properly, the
thermostat is working properly.  The only possible contribution I can
see to this problem is that the heater doesn't have a valve--the heater
hoses are plumbed directly to the cab heater, which seems like it would
make it take longer to warm up.  I've thought about getting rid of the
carb insulating block, but I don't want to do that because it'll
probably vaporize the fuel in the carb once it warms up.  My only other
option (besides living with the problem and using 2 gallons of gas for
warm-up) is to fabricate some kind of carb heat device like
reciprocating aircraft engines use--but I'd rather keep it original and
stock.  Anyone have any ideas?  Is this just an inherent problem with
these old stovebolt engines?  The engine is a 248 GMC with a downdraft
Zenith carb.