RE: [oletrucks] getting adapters on spindles for DB

To: "'RobXR250@aol.com'" <RobXR250@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] getting adapters on spindles for DB
From: Jon Elerath <jelerath@home.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 16:41:34 -0700
I had exactly the same problem.  I heated up one enough that it slipped on
easily, but you have to be quick.

The other got half way on and you will NEVER be able to heat it up again
because the axle will heat and expand also.

Here's what I did

Be patient
Take an 8" drift pin (Craftsman, costs a couple of bucks) and tap firmly
(pound?) three different points on the spacer:  top, lower right, lower
left, top etc.
Be patient
be patient
be patient

eventually it will go on.  It took me approximately 1/2 hour of continuous
banging, but it eventually seated and hasn't been a problem.  The only
problem I have is that after getting it all the way on, the ID of the outer
wheel bearing is too small.  It catches on the taper of the axle before the
bearings have the proper pre-load.  I didn't know what to do about it so I
ignored it.

Jon
'53 3100 with dynamite Camera discs