[oletrucks] 235 identification

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 235 identification
From: "David Handley" <dph55@pdq.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 20:56:41 -0500
This weekend I acquired a basket case 235 engine represented as being a 1955
model. The block casting number is 3837004 with a date code of J 9 6.  The
serial number is FI217A.  The cylinder head casting number is 3835913.  The
block has hydraulic lifters in it . It also has the copper oil line inside
the side cover.
The information found on the net disagrees with some found in old literature
in my files as to what year stuff I have here and whether this is a
hydraulic (powerglide) engine or not.  One source tells me it is of Flint,
Michigan manufacture in September of 1956. and is a 1957 engine from a car
with a 3 speed manual transmission. I thought the hydraulic lifters were
limited to powerglide installations. Can someone  confirm or deny this?
Thanks.

Dave Handley
51 GMC 5 window
Houston, TExas