[oletrucks] How I spent my summer vacation

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [oletrucks] How I spent my summer vacation
From: "Andy Johns" <andy51chevy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 23:16:40 -0400
Hey y'all,
I just realized how far behind I am with the e-mail.  I have 1164 unread
messages.  Any way this summer I have purchased a '79 Impala Station wagon
for parts.  I took the 350 engine, 350 Tranny, Rearend, power doorlocks,
seatbelts, rear view mirror, and middle seat.  I have spent the last half of
the summer figuring out how to adapt my '87 S-15 frame to the truck.  It is
going amazingly well.  The rear cab mounts match the frame perfectly.  I
order v8 motor mounts from JTR for the s-15 for $45 and set then engine on
the frame.  The transmission crossmember fit the 350 with a fabricated
adapter plate (switch plate with holes drilled in it).  I then bought a
junkyard drive shaft out of a late 70's Chevy truck and had it shortened to
64.75 inches.  I also got the 5 inch fuel gauge and speedometer out of the
same truck.  To get the shaft shortened here in Atlanta would cost me
$90-120.  An hour and a half north of here a guy did it for $35.  You just
have to shop around.  The cab is mounted on the '87 frame.  The bed is next.
I ordered $300 of weather-stripping, tail lights, peep mirrors and stuff
from Chevy duty.  Has anyone ordered there tinted glass?  It is cheaper
glass from them than any where around here.  I also ordered the 3rd brake
lights from RB's that go in the bed tubes.  Any experience with those?  I
have had an incredible amount of good luck on this project.  So far the
frame swap is working well.  With school starting and being the drum major
in the marching band, time and money are running short though.  I'm getting
closer to getting this thing moving though.

Andy Johns
1951 3100