Re: [oletrucks] Glueing on cab corners

To: "Old chevy truck advice" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Glueing on cab corners
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlrba@texas.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 07:38:36 -0500
Gordon,

Absolutely true.  I believe Methacrylate glues are used on semis (tractor
part of tractor-trailer) to fasten parts that are designated as unweldable.
It is also used on high class boats to fasten dissimilar materials together.
This type of glue can be used structurally as well.  I suggest that you try
Locktite technical help for suggestions as to product, use, and procedures.
You probably have seen or used Locktite products from the auto parts store,
but their industrial stuff is the real thing.  We have had samples from
their industrial division that were amazing - even some for stainless steel.
Their web address is www.locktite.com.  You will need to get hold of a real
person in their technical assistance department to make real headway and
probably will be shifted from one to another until you find the right tech
guy.

It is as strong as welding in some applications. It (obviously will not work
well in edge gluing thin pieces, but) can be used to back up edge glued
pieces.  We have used it in high tech construction of homes.

 Michael Lubitz
1948 Chevrolet 3100, soon to be deluxe
Austin, Texas