RE: [oletrucks] IFS brand recommendation

To: "'BelAir Bob'" <rogerz@planetwide.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] IFS brand recommendation
From: Whittaker Bill G Civ ASC/SMY <Bill.Whittaker@wpafb.af.mil>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 15:17:25 -0400
16 bolts is twice the number used by most of the Mustang II "bolt on" kits.
Also remember the Chevy system was designed from the outset to be bolted to
that specific frame.  The people selling Mustang II bolt on units have adapted
that design to a frame that it was never designed to fit in the first place and
then use less bolts to mount it. The geometry may be correct but the strength
is questionable.  Your original equipment suspension was extensively tested to
see if anything would come unglued over time but I doubt any of the Mustang II
"bolt on" manufacturers have any test data at all showing how theirs won't come
loose after 20 or 50 or 100K miles.  It's all guess work. Unfortunately to a
lot of people safety is a relative term. For my money the only way to make sure
an aftermarket Mustang II bolt on kit stays put is to weld it on.

Bill