Re: Dummy's Guide to Timing (was Re: [oletrucks] Points -> electronic co

To: "tim" <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>, "Ole Truckers" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dummy's Guide to Timing (was Re: [oletrucks] Points -> electronic conversion?)
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 20:19:15 -0400
Timing is just an adjustment which tells the engine when to send a spark to
each plug. The order is determined by the distributor. By adjusting the
point at which each spark plug fires, you can optimize power, economy and
emissions. "Advancing" the timing means causing the plug to begin firing
earlier. "Retarding" means the plug fires later.
You do this merely by loosening the distributor and rotating it - clockwise
to retard, counter-clockwise to advance on a GM inline 6.

Static timing is done by mechanical means with the engine not running. It is
usually accurate enough to get an engine running. Then you can use a timing
light to fine-tune the distributor position to the exact recommended factory
setting.

The distributor contains components (mechanical and vacuum advance) which
alter timing "on the fly" to suit varying conditions, but assuming these are
in good working order they don't require any adjustment.

Here is a link to a pretty good description of timing an engine, and why:
http://www.type2.com/library/electrip/timex.htm

Jack Halton
51 GMC 1/2 ton
Winter Park FL