Re: [oletrucks] Condensor & points Question

To: MKlepp4335@cs.com, old-chevy-truck@egroups.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Condensor & points Question
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 20:01:29 EDT
In a message dated 9/15/00 3:28:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
MKlepp4335@cs.com writes:

> Please tell me if I'm wrong - I always thought that the condenser prevented
>  sparking (arcing) across the points, it even says that in the AD shop
manual.

>   My FLAPS guy says, no.  The points are supposed to spark, that's the way
>  they work.
>  Who's right here?
>  I put new points and condenser in my '48 and within a few minutes of run
>  time, they had evidence of arcing.  I spun the engine with the cap off and
>  the spark at the points looked like the spark the plugs should have. (I'm
>  still chasing the poor running condition.)  Thanks as always.
>  Mike Klepp
>  '48 3100
>  Wichita Falls, TX

Mike,

  I've never tried turning a motor over and watch the points open and close,
but have forgot and left the key on, while rotating the distributor and when
the points closed, I recall a very small arc...nothing like a sparkplug
firing....just a little flicker.  Not to say they don't arc large, but just
my experience.

Mike