RE: [oletrucks] Condensor & points Question

To: "Perry Smith" <perigrinephalkon@hotmail.com>, <MKlepp4335@cs.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Condensor & points Question
From: "Tibbers" <tibbers@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 07:59:50 -0700

I copied this from the site I have listed below it.  It is a pretty good
description of a points type ignition.  It is on a VW site.....but the
principles are no different on any points type ignition.

Gt

The ignition coil is really two coils intertwined, with the leads to one
going to the spark plug, and the leads to the other going to the
points. Your points close, and a magnetic field builds up. They must stay
closed long enough (they DWELL closed for a bit!) to energize
the field. They open, and the field collapses. The inductance of the
collaspsing field does not care which of the two intermingled coils
created it -- it dumps into both, but because of the way they are wound, it
mostly dumps into the spark-plug side. Enough gets into the
points-side, though, that there will be a spark across them as well. The
condensor is there to absorb this. Without a condensor, your
ignition will work fine, but your points will very rapidly pit because of
the arcing, and may weld themselves together. Alway replace the
condensor with the points -- it is more common that a poor condensor has
caused the points to fail than the points wearing on their own.

http://www.type2.com/library/electrip/ignwor.htm