[oletrucks] 235 Hydraulic Lifters

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 235 Hydraulic Lifters
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:52:05 -0400
I had much trouble with my hydraulic lifters also. Seems air is getting
in
the suction side of oil pump. Unlike V-8's the 235 pump is not submerged
in
oil. Any suction side leak will pump air into the oil system. Lifters
don't
like air.
    Were you noisy lifters acting up after highway runs but quiet after
idling a while Quiet when first started? This is a symptom of air in you
oil
system.
    If so you can try dropping the pan and sealing leaks in the pump and

pickup tube. I pressure checked mine with leak tek (soapy water will
work)
Leaks occur at the cover, pickup tube joint and pressure relief valve.
   If your attempts to seal leaks  don't  quiet the lifters, mine
didn't,
there is one last thing to try that worked for me. Tom Langdon at
Stovebolt
Engine suggested it. I tried it, it worked and he has been giving me
credit
for it. I won't argue but it was his idea.
   In my case I had two or three lifters that were noisier than the
others.
I picked the one nearest the oil supply and removed for some
re-operation.
Grind a .003 to .005 flat in the side of it, from the recessed part up.
This
allows air to vent out instead of being pumped into the lifter. Doing
this
to just the first one worked to quiet down all the rest. I has almost
given
up on hydraulic lifters before I tried this. Tom say's this will drop
your
oil pressure 1 psi per lifter, but I didn't notice any difference on
just
one.

Grant

Gordon Groves wrote:

> What a bummer ! My '56 235 (in my '51 1/2 ton) was starting to make a
> little noise in the valve train (Howard's cam , hydraulic lifters) so
> figured that I would install a new vale cover gasket and a side cover
> gasket and Adj. the valves . Ive put about 12,000 miles on it since I
> built it and have had no problems except for external stuff like
starter
> ,carb, generator. so I get in there and about half my lifters are
frozen
> ! So plan A is to dis assemble em and clean em , easy right ? The
first
> three went smooth and worked like a champ afterward but # 4 I got the
> spring half out and it sprung up just enough to make it impossible to
> get it the rest of the way out , so plan "B" is just get a new set of
> lifters. has anybody had this happen ? this mill got regular oil
changes
> has an external canister filter and I didn't find anything in the
> lifters I got apart , but they worked fine on re assembly . Im
suprised
> by this and wonder if its "Normal " ? or did I get a bad batch of
> lifters ? (I got em from patrics)
>
> Gordon Groves
> '51 chevy 1/2 ton
> '53 chevy 1/2 ton