Re: [oletrucks] Gettin' a race off the spindle?

To: "Gage L. Thompson / Schulz" <Gagejohn@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Gettin' a race off the spindle?
From: john dorsey <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:24:13 -0400
I had the same problem with my '49. The race had worn a slight groove on
the spindle and would not come off! Heat, no effect, tried splitting the
race with a chisel, no effect (except I ruined the chisel), tried to
drive the chisel between the race and the dust shield, no effect, BIG
pliers to turn and pull, no effect, it would turn but not pull!

I finally had enough, by blood pressure had peaked and that SOB was
coming off there even if the end of the spindle came with it! I took the
chisel and drove it between the dust shield and the backing plate and it
just popped off :-0 I later figured that when I was beating on the race
it was just forcing it into the wear groove, but when I beat against the
shield it pushed out on the race.

I would try taking a couple of screwdrivers and tapping them between the
shield and the backing plate from opposite sides. That should persuade
it to come off :-)

Good luck!

--
John Dorsey