Re: [oletrucks] Brownie Box

To: Brian _ <pkupman57@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Brownie Box
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 08:35:41 -0400
The Brownie can mount from the cross member the carrier bearing is on, replacing
it. You will have to shorten drive shafts and possibly have a drive shaft shop
supply you with smaller yokes than is found on some models. This Old Truck has
an article on them, volume 4 , number 4. The article is on Spicer 5831 Auxiliary
Transmissions. It lists 6 different models and their ratio's, really worth
knowing if you are going to buy one. The tranny is the size of a truck 4 speed,
weighs 155 lbs and has a torque rating of 350 ft. lbs. I'm thinking of getting
one for a GMC 1 ton to give me a real truck O.D. Yes, they can give you better
highway gears of either .85 or .73 overdrive and also a range from 2.35 to 1.27
underdrive (like our trucks need that). A salvage yard here in Ct. say's he can
get me these units in my preferred ratio for $375. Add the cost of shortening
shafts and new yokes. Being able to pull stumps and cruise on the highway where
ever-priceless.

Grant