RE: [oletrucks] RE: oletrucks-digest V2 #1091

To: Oletrucks Board <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] RE: oletrucks-digest V2 #1091
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 22:58:32 -0500 (CDT)
These old starter motors use a field coil for the stator magnet.  To
reverse direction, you have to reverse the polarity on either the field
connection or on the brush connection, but not on both.  If you reverse it
on both, the motor will continue to run the same way and will even run on
alternating current.  It's the same style of motor that an electric drill
uses.

If the truck runs an extended time with reverse polarity, it will screw up
the condensor in the distributor since these are usually only made for one
direction polarity.  When this happens, the truck will run bad or not at
all.

I bet the temp and gas guages wouldn't have worked on this truck too
because they need the correct polarity.

I think the new starters on newer GM cars (the ones the size of a big soup
can) use permanent magnets for the stator to save weight.  If so, these
will run backwards if the battery is hooked up backwards, but you will
probably fry all the electronics first before the engine turns.

Blessing every minute I worked on these things with my dad when they
weren't such oletrucks (and I wasn't so old either.)

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN