[oletrucks] ring and pinion trouble 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] ring and pinion trouble 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup
From: "Alan Lubow" <alosteo@uswest.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:10:57 -0600
Seeking the wisdom of the list:

I have a problem with my ring and pinion setup.  The guy who did the
restoration work on my truck last spring (Brad at Colorado Truck Shop,
Denver) finally admitted today that he had lied to me about putting in a
Patricks ring and pinion setup in my truck.  Seems he thought Patricks'
stuff was too pricey, so he kept the money I gave him to buy the kit from
Patricks and put in something else.  He told me today that what he actually
put in was a brand new ring and pinion setup for the next generation of
Chevy AD trucks, and should have worked fine.  Well, maybe it wasn't set up
quite right, as it turns out.  I knew the gears didn't feel right when I
picked up the truck, and I've got maybe 200 miles on it since.  The grinding
got worse and I had the truck up in the air at a transmission shop today and
got to see the "new" stuff  in the differential case all scored up.

My questions:

Will ring and pinion stuff from the newer trucks fit into mine?  Can it be
made to fit?  Any suggestions on the best way to fix this?

Alan Lubow
l950 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup