[oletrucks] Backing plate

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Backing plate
From: "Blaine & Maggie Dumkee" <bmdumkee@auroranet.nt.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 18:34:46 -0600
I have finally gathered all the parts to put my rearend back together after
a C clip fell out and an axle, with tire still attached, went north on an
east bound truck.

My problem is the used backing plate I purchased from Jim Carter's does not
have the pin sticking out at the top that the rear brake shoes rest on. My
old backing plate still has this pin (only the bottom was wrecked from
skidding down the highway!) but it appears to be a large rivet. Has anyone
ever changed this piece? Or any suggestions?

My only thought at this time is to get the welder at work to cut/grind this
piece from one and weld it on the other. Any thoughts on this idea?

Blaine Dumkee
Fort Smith NT
Canada
http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/wayne/blaine59.jpg