Re: [oletrucks] garage floor slab

To: New Mexico Jim <ADvent@thuntek.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] garage floor slab
From: Steve <m_toolman@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 06:39:18 -0700 (PDT)
Jim

Air (air-entrained)in concrete does several things. It
decreases freeze thaw cycle damage, decreases
permeability (less porous), increases workability
(makes it seem slicker when finnishing it). Has been
used for years.

Rebars' main purpose is to add strength, wire mesh is
better at reducing cracking.

Newer products worth considering are the fibre
previously mentioned and possibly some plasticizer
(lets you use less water). The less water you use the
stronger the concrete.

You also want to control the drying process (slow is
good) this can be done with a spray on curing compound
(use an old pump up tree sprayer), covering with
plastic, or just keeping the surface moist.

I would use a 5 sack mix (5 sacks of cement to make
one cu yard concrete.

Talk to your material company if using redimix those
guys are usually a great source of information.

Depending on the size of your slab and planned shop
layout you can influence possible crack location by
running a jointer (tool that puts grooves in sidewalks
ect).  With concrete somtimes it cracks somtimes it
don't, if you are lucky it will follow the joint.

Good luck

Steve

http://photos.yahoo.com/