[oletrucks] Rust repair - Any advice?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Rust repair - Any advice?
From: Alan Quin <Alan_Quin@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:13:09 -0700
When I painted my 52 GMC 1/2 ton, I took it apart (cab off, fends,
separate box, sides, etc.)

So far, my welding and body work has shown no signs of the dreaded rust
coming through except where the rear fenders are bolted to bed sides.
When I did the preparation of the sides, I sad blasted and ground these
areas on the sides and proceed to prime and fill, sanding till I could
spay my primers then chrome one base clear (This rust is surface only)
The passenger side now shows some bubbles, I suppose the rust is working

again.  I can take the bed sides off.  Could I then re-do my rust
removal by sand blasting and grunt work.  Then I would repaint both
outsides where fenders bolt on.  Any suggestions as to a product to kill

the rust before priming and painting?

The bedsides actually turned out the best of all the truck pieces, and I

hope to localize the painting to the outsides only, covering the tops
and sides with cardboard or similar to protect.
Thanks, Alan Quin